Monday, October 12, 2009

Cool New Product: Starbucks VIA - In Decaf!

Anyone who's ever looked at my food log knows my great enthusiasm for decaf coffee, particularly of the Starbucks variety.

But Starbucks is an expensive habit, and I won't go to a coffee shop twice a day anyway. I've been using some good substitutes for Starbucks, including Folger's instant decaf and Nescafe Taster's Choice instant decaf.

Sadly, those delicious substitutes might get kicked to the proverbial curb come November 17, 2009. That's when Starbucks will begin offering the decaf version of its new "VIA" line of instant coffees. Here's the press release. It's lame that they didn't offer decaf in the first place, but I'm glad they're getting their act together now.

It could turn out to be gross, which would be okay considering that Folgers and Nescafe have been wonderful for me over the past few months. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. In case you don't know, many RNY patients are told to avoid caffeine for some period of time after surgery. I'm not entirely sure why: some say it contributes to dehydration; others say it irritates the reconfigured stomach. I don't remember how long my surgeon said to avoid it - three months, maybe? But I haven't missed it, so I don't see the need to get myself hooked to it again. I was already weaning myself off caffeine well before I decided to have surgery. The only thing I'm annoyed that I can't try is the Believe ready-to-drink protein lattes from BariatricEating.com. The chai tea is most tempting, followed closely by the mocha latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment