Monday, May 4, 2009

Update: Week 3

This morning, the numbers on my unreliable scale averaged to 275.3, for a loss of 6.7 pounds this week. Right on.

I'm not as excited about this as I was when I first saw the scale trending downward earlier this week. That's because, as you can see by looking at my What I Ate entries, I haven't been eating much protein because that's the way my diet is structured. I have been getting less than 30 grams of protein most days. I'm worried that the weight I lost was muscle, not fat.

Yesterday I decided to add protein shakes now - even though I'm not supposed to - because I want to get my protein above 50g a day. That will mean 2 shakes a day, which will add 200 kcals a day. I'm not happy about that at all.

So, mixed feelings today. On one hand, I lost almost 7 pounds in a week, and that's awesome. On the other hand: (1) The weight I lost was probably all muscle; (2) I won't be losing weight at this pace again - and may even gain or plateau for a while - because I'm adding calories now; and (3) I'm being a renegade and breaking the rules of my diet, which makes me very uncomfortable, but I feel that I have no other choice.

There's my update.

No comments:

Post a Comment