Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bill Clinton: Soda Tax Isn't the Way to Go

Fascinating article. I haven't thought in any depth about the soda tax, so no comments from me just yet. If anyone reads this and cares, what do you think? :-)

---
Bill Clinton: Soda Tax Isn't the Way to Go
Teddy Davis, ABC News

Though former President Clinton has focused on reducing childhood obesity since leaving the White House, he told ABC News Wednesday he does not favor the tax on soda that a nutrition group has publicly supported to pay for health care reform.

"I'm doing everything I can on this obesity thing," Clinton told ABC News. "I think the better thing to do is to give incentives right across the board for prevention and wellness."

"That's what I would do," he said.

Clinton weighed in on the debate over taxing soda one day after the Center for Science in the Public Interest urged a key congressional panel to adopt a tax on nondiet soft drinks. The group believes a soda tax along with a tax on alcoholic beverages would both promote health and generate revenues to help fund expanded health care coverage.

Click here to read the full article.

No comments:

Post a Comment