Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Update! And What I Ate Today

I am finally back in Columbia, where I have regular Internet access and hopefully will be able to get back into my daily food-tracking routine.

My biggest battle right now is making sure my portions are small enough. I find that I can eat about 4-5 oz. of food at a time as long as it's pure protein, but I'm not supposed to eat that much at one time. I am still satisfied with just 2-3 oz. of food. I am good about measuring my food when I'm eating at home, but when I go out, I have a hard time controlling myself.

For example, I just got back from Mr. Friendly's, a great restaurant here in town. I had a special entree of halibut and 2 scallops with watermelon rind chow chow (so good!) and grilled summer vegetables (I just ate the zucchini and a little onion. The entree also came with tabasco beurre blanc and some hoppin' john cakes, but I skipped that stuff.) I was able to eat most of the plate! :-( I only ate one of the scallops, but I ate most of the halibut and a lot of the vegetables. I also ate all of the chow chow (about 1.5-2 tbsp.) I did not get sick from eating this.

I also ate too much this morning. I had about 1.5 oz. of turkey polska kielbasa left, so I chopped it up, added less than 0.5 oz. onion, and had it with 1/2 slice of fat-free cheese and 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters. It was good on calories, but the eggs were way too much volume. I should have stuck with my usual 1/4 cup. This may be TMI - but some of this actually came back up :-(

I am so scared of messing this up. I need to rein in my portion sizes immediately. I also need to adopt a better restaurant strategy. I usually just go into it thinking I will let my body tell me when I'm full, but I think I'm going to try to estimate the portion with my eyes and eat only that amount. I'm think I'm still uncomfortable bringing a box of leftover food home.

Other than the eggs with polska kielbasa and the Mr. Friendly's meal, I had one scoop of Isopure dutch chocolate protein powder in Starbucks iced decaf americano. (The best things about being back in Columbia are Starbucks and home Internet access!)

I'll be updating you about my weight tomorrow! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment