Monday, September 7, 2009

Walk from Obesity?

I'm trying to decide whether to go to the Walk from Obesity this year. The Walk is organized by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and the Obesity Action Coalition, and funds support their programs. Many of the Fall 2009 walks take place on Sept. 26, the Saturday after my 28th birthday. I'm thinking about signing up for the one in Charlotte, which seems to be pretty big.

The walk in Spartanburg is the same distance away and only an hour away from my family so I could visit them that weekend too, but it looks like very few people are going to that one. I don't want to go to a sparsely populated event by myself, because I would like to blend in and be anonymous. Going to a small event could be awkward. The Charlotte event is pretty sweet, with a raffle and fun events that will take place after the walk.

Another thing that's great about the Charlotte event is that there are two different length options, 1 mile or 3.1 miles. For both the Spartanburg and Atlanta locations, it's not clear how long the walk will be! I don't want to pay $25 and travel somewhere to walk 1 mile!

Will let you (meaning myself, since I'm the only person who reads this blog) know if I decide to do this. I really want to get involved in more anti-obesity and obese-person empowering activism, and this could be a small way to do that.

2 comments: