Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What I Ate: 12/29/2009

Backdated for future searching convenience. Posted January 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM.
  • 1 bag Kay's Naturals protein cereal (100 kcals, 9g protein, 12g net carbs, 1.5g fat)
  • Inspire Caramel Latte shake (110 kcals, 30g protein, 1g carb, 0g fat) in about 7 oz. water with Sbux VIA and 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (5 kcals, 0.5g carbs)(and Splenda). Total - (115 kcals, 30g protein, 1.5g net carbs, 0g fat)
  • 1 scoop Inspire peanut butter cookie protein powder (132 kcals, 25g protein, 1g carbs, 1g fat) in 4 oz. water with 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa (5 kcals, 1g net carb). Total - (137 kcals, 25g protein, 2g net carbs, 1g fat)
  • 1 tbsp. skim milk in decaf coffee from Community Coffee Company, a local New Orleans outfit (10 kcals, 1g protein, 1g net carbs, 0g fat)
  • Jacques Imo’s: A few bites of shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake, 1 crab-stuffed shrimp (that was deep-fried, of course), 3 roasted shrimp, about 1/2 of a small spinach salad with a fried oyster on top, a side order of red beans (no rice), and I’d guess 2-3 oz. of grilled mahi mahi with pistachios and asparagus. I also had one bite of beets. This is a LOT of food – but I don’t think I stretched my reconfigured tummy too much, as this was eaten over the course of about three hours. Even so, by the time I ate the mahi, I was almost nauseous. I actually had to spit out 2-3 bites of food because I realized mid-chew that it just wasn’t happening.

Again, I'm not estimating the calories today because there's such uncertainty about what was in the Jacques-Imo's food. I did drink sugar-free drink mix and took my vitamins, so there are some carbs not listed here.

Jacques-Imo's is apparently a bigtime New Orleans restaurant, a pillar of the uptown Carrollton neighborhood and located on Oak Street, which was the site of some looting after Katrina. Unfortunately, I wasn't a big fan of the food. It was just too greasy and obviously unhealthy for my tastes. I probably had more calories at Jacques-Imo’s than I had at August, for an inferior meal. Nearly everything on the Jacques-Imo’s menu was fried or smothered in an obviously sugary sauce, including my mahi, which was sitting in a bowl of jarringly sweet sauce. On the other hand, the shrimp and alligator sausage cheesecake deserves a shout-out. It was random, but magically delicious.

Also, I had a star-sighting this afternoon en route the coffee shop. Mos Def was walking through the French Quarter! He's shorter than I expected, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment