Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Just Registered for My First Athletic Event EVER.

That is, if you don't count Relay for Life or my high school's "March for Education," which was seriously like 1/4 or 1/2 mile. For me, Relay for Life was an opportunity to eat and socialize while supporting a worthy cause. Every couple hours I'd walk a lap. Anyway -

I just registered for the Cooper River Bridge Run, which will be held in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC on March 27, 2010. It's a 10K. I will definitely be walking, maybe with 3 minutes of slow jogging interspersed here and there. Even so, I am experiencing a pleasant combination of excitement, anxiety, and a premature sense of accomplishment just for having the cojones to try something like this after 20+ years of obesity. Simply registering, let alone participating, feels surreal.

I hope I actually follow through with this, and I have a feeling that I will after paying almost $50 to sign up. Walking 6.2 miles isn't the scary part. That should be no problem. What makes me nervous is being a fat person in this environment.

1 comment: