Thursday, July 1, 2010

Roasted Vegetables Rock.

Last night, I roasted a bunch of vegetables, put together a little vinaigrette, and pre-packaged them into 10 servings.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo. I didn't realize they'd be so scrumptious I'd want to post about them. But here's what I included:

628 grams zucchini (3 small-medium sized), diced
172 grams okra, sliced into discs
392 grams summer squash (3 small), diced
208 grams red bell peppers (1 large), chunked
195 grams Vidalia onion, chunked
190 grams portabellas (1 container), cut into about 1-inch pieces
242 grams green beans, snapped into bite-sized pieces

You'll notice that I didn't use anything exotic - I really wanted to keep it simple.

These veggies cook at different rates, so I roasted them all separately except for the red bell peppers and onions. With the green beans, I pre-steamed them in the microwave for three minutes with a little water, then I roasted them. I didn't time anything, just cooked at 450 degrees until done and nicely caramelized.

For the vinaigrette, I chopped up a bunch of my preserved lemon and combined it with fresh basil, dried rosemary, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder, paprika, soy sauce, minced ginger, Liquid Smoke, stevia in the raw, and natural rice vinegar (yep, a lot of ingredients!) I coated the veggies in the vinaigrette before portioning and freezing.

Each portion contains about 50 calories, 3 grams of protein, 8 grams NET carbs, and less than half a gram of fat. I wouldn't advise eating these by themselves for a meal, especially not early post-op, unless you're like me and have no problem getting 120+ grams of protein a day.

Today I made a roasted vegetable sandwich with 1/2 a Light Italian Flatout wrap and one ounce of fat-free cheese. It was heavenly and made me think back fondly to my vegetarian pre-op days!

No comments:

Post a Comment