Sunday, July 4, 2010

Holocaust Survivor?

My mom made a very un-PC and offensive comment to me last night. She said that with the boniness of my upper body, the thinness of my face, and my excess skin, I look like a Holocaust survivor.

She also said she was freaked out by skin and that my "girls" look like an old woman's. She looked at me with visible disgust. I was surprised by her reaction to my body because she's been working in surgery for almost forty years; she's seen all kinds of medical issues and isn't outwardly repulsed by her patients, I'm sure.

Oh well. I know she's happy for my success so far, and she was very supportive as I sought and went through the RNY. But recently, she's started making little sharp comments about my weight. I think it's hard for her to see me smaller than her. She has her own body issues (she's always thought she was fat even though she's never been more than a little pudgy and has, at some points, been downright skinny.)

I think I have to stop sharing my weight loss process with her. It is sad. We've always had an open relationship about such things, but she obviously can't handle these conversations without bringing out the daggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment