Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What I Ate: June 21, 2010 (Fifth-Eleventh Recovery Edition)

It was that kind of a weekend. I went to Anderson, I cooked dinner for my mom this weekend (see photos and description here), I was surrounded by trigger foods, and to top it off, my "visitor" decided to arrive a few days early. I didn't have time to exercise either. It was the perfect storm to knock me off track. I'm not beating myself up. Sure, I wish I hadn't eaten like a crazy person, and I'm up a whopping SIX POUNDS from Saturday morning. But I dunno; I'm not worried yet. This doesn't feel like the beginning of downhill slide.

But I try to view every slip-up as a teachable moment, and here's what I learned from this one:

Lesson 1: I'm still a compulsive eater, and one of the most important tools for me to manage it is to avoid foods that set me off. Some foods, even "healthy" ones, are just not okay to keep in my house. Ever. No matter what anyone else tells me.

I thought I'd gotten better with controlling my compulsive eating. Aside from the extreme gluttony of this past weekend and the almonds from last weekend, I'd been so much better with that. Turns out that was not because I'm somehow less of a compulsive eater than I was before; I simply wasn't surrounding myself with my danger foods like Calcet chewable vitamins, Fiber One, or powdered peanut butters. This weekend, the latter two were part of a WLS-friendly dessert, and of course I ate an ungodly amount of them. No more chocolate peanut butter fudge pie for me!

Lesson 2: I need to exercise pretty much every day, even if I have cramps and feel like crap.

Even with the trigger food-fest, I think I would have been a lot better, especially on Sunday, if I hadn't missed three days of exercise. I messed up this morning before my workout with several sugar-free Hershey's chocolate bars, remnants of the weekend. I got to the gym and chocolate was smeared all over my workout shorts, and I didn't feel like working out AT ALL. But I forced myself to do it, and five minutes in, my whole outlook had changed. I know I wouldn't have eaten that chocolate if I'd exercised before eating.

At least based on Obesity Help, a lot of successful long-term post-ops don't need to exercise daily. But I've learned that I'm not like them. I have to, not just to burn calories, but mostly to get into a healthy mindset.

Okay. With all of that said, onto my Monday log:

  • Caramel latte protein shake: 1/2 cup cottage cheese (80 kcals, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 0g fat), 1/2 scoop Inspire cinnamon cappuccino protein (55 kcals, 15g protein, 0.5g carbs, 0g fat), and SF dulce de leche and French vanilla syrups. Total - (135 kcals, 30g protein, 5.5g net carbs, 0g fat).
  • 8 sugar-free Hershey's mini chocolate bars (256 kcals, 1.6g protein, 19.2g net carbs, 20g fat). Terrible stats, eh? They are even worse when you consider that they are full of sugar alcohols. The total carb count is 35, but I always subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohol grams to get net carbs. But, oh well. I ate it, I wrote it, and I won't buy these again for a very long time.
  • 1 Oh Yeah! vanilla creme in 4 decaf coffees and 1 Starbucks iced decaf Americano with SF hazelnut syrup (220 kcals, 32g protein, 3g carbs, 9g fat)
  • 5 raw cashews (about 43 kcals, 1.3g protein, 2.2g net carbs, 3.3g fat)
  • Chicken and mozzarella omelet with salad: 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (60 kcals, 12g protein, 2g carbs, 0g fat) with 3 oz. ground chicken breast (80 kcals, 17g protein, 3g carbs, 0.5g fat), 1 oz. Whole Foods fat-free mozzarella (40 kcals, 8g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fat), a handful of arugula (5 kcals), and ginger-mustard dressing (10 kcals, 1g net carbs). Total - (195 kcals, 37g protein, 7g carbs, 0.5g fat). This was mega delicious and the protein numbers were awesome, but it was a little large for my pouch. I probably should have had half the chicken and/or half the egg beaters. It was tasty though!
  • Chocolate Irish cream protein frosty: 1/2 cup cottage cheese (80 kcals, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 0g fat), 1/2 scoop Nectar chocolate truffle protein powder (50 kcals, 11.5g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fat), 1/2 tbsp. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder (5 kcals, 0.5g net carbs), 1 tbsp. SF/FF white chocolate pudding mix (15 kcals, 3g carbs), SF Irish cream syrup. Total - (150 kcals, 26.5g protein, 9.5g carbs, 0g fat).
Total:
999 calories
128.4g protein
51.4% kcals from protein
46.4g net carbs
18.6% kcals from net carbs
32.8g fat
29.5% kcals from fat.
Exercise was just 45 minutes on the elliptical. I really need to step it back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment