Saturday, April 10, 2010

What I Ate: April 9, 2010 (aka The Anatomy of a Compulsive Eater's Slow Meltdown)

The eating day started off okay, but at about 2:30 PM when I had the cocoa almonds, it took a turn for the worse. By the time the day was over, I'd double-dipped on protein bars and eaten mint cookie lowfat (but not low-sugar) ice cream. It's so hard not to go over the edge the rest of the day once you've slipped. Usually, I fall apart at night, but Friday was different.

Rule #1 for compulsive eaters - or at least this compulsive eater: Go. To. Bed. The food doesn't become calorie-free after midnight!
  • Praline cappuccino protein frappe: 1 scoop Nectar cappuccino protein powder (90 kcals, 23g protein, 0g carbs, 0g fat) in 1 cup unsweeetened vanilla Almond Breeze (40 kcals, 1g protein, 1g carbs, 3g fat) with SF praline syrup and Truvia. Total - (130 kcals, 24g protein, 1g carbs, 3g fat).
  • The last of my Mediterranean White Chili, a little over 1/2 cup (about 120 kcals, 16g protein, 10g net carbs, 1.5g fat). So yummy!
  • 3 slices Hormel Natural Choice roast beef (45 kcals, 8.2g protein, 0g carbs, 1.5g fat) and 1 Babybel Light cheese round (50 kcals, 6g protein, 0g carbs, 3g fat). Total - (95 kcals, 14.2g protein, 0g carbs, 4.5g fat) and about 1 oz. cocoa roasted almonds :-( (150 kcals, 6g protein, 4g net carbs, 9g fat). Total - (245 kcals, 20.2g protein, 4g net carbs, 13.5g fat). I was still hungry after my roast beef and cheese, so the cocoa almonds made an appearance. Boo. This was where the day began to unravel.
  • Chocolate Extreme Smoothie protein shake (170 kcals, 35g protein, 5g net carbs, 0.5g fat) - en route airport.
  • 1 100-calorie pack of "natural" almonds (100 kcals, 4g protein, 4g net carbs, 9g fat) - midair.
  • 2 Oh Yeah! peanut butter cup protein wafers (210 kcals, 14g protein, 6g net carbs, 13g protein) - at Grand Central Terminal. This was on my plan, and it was fine.
  • 1 Power Crunch peanut butter creme protein bar (200 kcals, 13g protein, 9g net carbs, 12g fat) - also at Grand Central Terminal. This was not part of my plan, so it was not fine. It also sent me over my daily calorie target.
  • 4 Bariatric Advantage cinnamon calcium citrate lozenges (16 kcals, 4g carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate orange multivitamins (10 kcals, 2g net carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate grape iron + c (10 kcals, 3g net carbs)
Total before 2 AM - pre-ice cream:
1,211 calories
126.2g protein
41.7% kcals from protein
48g net carbs
15.9% kcals from net carbs
52.5g fat!!
39.0% kcals from fat!!

BUT - it gets worse.

I finally got to New Haven at about 1:30 AM on Saturday morning, then I had to go meet the person I'm staying with at her BF's house to get her key. I got to her apartment, neither her nor her roommate was there, and I no longer felt like going straight to bed. So, I did what any compulsive eater would do. I scrounged for food. I didn't see anything worth the excess calories at first, but eventually I came across Edy's Slow-Churned Mint Chocolate Cookie ice cream. Perfect.

You know that saying, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"? Well, last night, when I was eating that ice cream, for a fleeting moment I doubted the veracity of that statement. I really did. Doesn't mean I'm going to make a habit of eating that ice cream, but I'm not gonna lie. It was delectable.

By the way, exercise was mediocre. I partied with Leslie Sansone on Friday morning. I did 4 miles of her 5-mile Fat Burning Walk, which took 50 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great article. I think it is important to know how many calories in each meal you eat throughout the day. That way you will be able to monitor your low calorie diet. Along with a lot of daily exercise I am sure you will see fantastic results rather quickly. I found this site that allows you to track your calories for free and also gives you many other cool ideas for your weight loss journey. I hope this helps you along the way. www.fitclick.com/howmanycaloriesin

    ReplyDelete