Thursday, April 8, 2010

Numerical Goal for One-Year "Surgiversary"

In anticipation of my upcoming one-year "surgiversary" (next Tuesday! April 13, 2010!), I'm setting a little numerical goal: the 170s. I want to be at least 179.9 on Tuesday morning.

This is slightly ambitious. As you may know, I'm losing weight at a slow crawl at this point. My weight fluctuates + or - 10 pounds sometimes. But I've lost about 2 pounds over the past week or so, and this morning I got a bunch of different readings ranging from 181.6 to 179.3, with a mode of 180.0 (I think my scale may be a little on the fritz.) I probably won't meet this goal if the 181.6 reading was correct, but if the 180.0 was right, I should definitely be able to lose 0.1 pounds in 5 days - I think.

I've gotten more into activity goals, like participating in walk/run events or going to certain yoga classes. Numerical goals tend to be bad news in general, but especially for people like me for whom weight loss does not seem to correlate with plan adherence. For example, I lost weight this weekend, even though I went on a crazy carb spree that included Fiber One cereal, honey wheat dinner rolls, and sugar-free triple chocolate fudge ice cream. I'd planned to give myself that leeway, so I don't feel guilty about it, but it was still off-plan. A month ago, I was gaining weight despite following a low-carb, high-protein eating plan and exercising regularly.

For this reason, I won't be bent out of shape if I don't make the goal, or if my weight takes a turn upward. As long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, I'll be cool with it.

So, April 13th goal: 179.9. Root for me!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! How much have you lost in a year?

    I am currently hoping to be in the 320s by my 3 mo appointment on 4/20. I was 372 on the day of surgery, and I am in the low-mid 330s now. I still lose pretty fast since I am early out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Kelly. You will make your goal too! I hope your appointment goes well.

    So far, I've lost about 124 pounds, which is about average from what I understand. I was at an above average rate until Months 9-11, when I had a super-long stall/period of fluctuation. I'm still happy with it, though!

    ReplyDelete