Thursday, April 29, 2010

What I Ate: April 28, 2010

I was much less crazy on Wednesday. I guess between hormones dying down and de-carbing, I regained some craving control. (Yes, Tuesday was "de-carbing" compared to the massive amount of carbs I ate over the weekend, including stuff like Goldfish crackers . . .)

I also finally started back my OA phone meetings. I don't speak - I've never spoken - but just listening helps a lot. I'm going to aim for 4-7 phone meetings a week for a little while and see where that takes me. I'm also reading a couple books about mindful eating that have some interesting strategies I may try.

  • Chocolate-mint protein frosty: 1 scoop Isopure dutch chocolate protein (110 kcals, 25g protein, 0.5g net carbs, 0.5g fat), 1 tbsp. Hershey's cocoa powder (10 kcals, 0g protein, 1g net carbs, 0.5g fat), 1/2 cup "So Delicious" unsweetened coconut milk "beverage" (25 kcals, 0.5g protein, 0.5g carbs, 2.5g fat), Torani SF chocolate syrup, a dribble of DaVinci SF peppermint syrup, and lotsa ice, aerated and whirled in blender. Total - (145 kcals, 25.5g protein, 2g net carbs, 3.5g fat). This was so thick, I ate half of it at 6:30 AM, went for a walk, and then came back home to eat the rest at 8. I'm not sure blender shakes are appropriate for so early in the morning! They are very thick and voluminous, even though there's nothing much in them. You know, these aerated shakes are reminiscent of Tasti D-Lite - light flavor, lots of volume, totally guiltless. I used to be obsessed with Tasti back in '05-'06, but then the ones in New Haven and Atlanta closed. Anyway, this was a good experiment because I learned that I can achieve the richness without cottage cheese, yogurt, or pudding mix.
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs with Splenda-sweetened soy sauce (157 kcals, 12.6g protein, 3g carbs, 10g fat). Weird, but so yummy.
  • 1 Spinachy Chicken Burger (75 kcals, 12g protein, 3.5g net carbs, 0.5g fat) with 1 slice Kraft fat-free Swiss (25 kcals, 4g protein, 2g carbs, 0g fat) and a salad of tomatoes, onions, pickled celery, and thyme (10 kcals, 1g net carbs). Total - (110 kcals, 16g protein, 6.5g net carbs, 0.5g fat).
  • 1/2 Believe Italian Cappuccino protein shake in decaf coffee (60 kcals, 10g protein, 2.5g net carbs, 0g fat) and 1 100-calorie pack walnuts/almonds (100 kcals, 3g protein, 1g net carbs, 9g fat)
  • 3 oz. eye-of-round steak (108 kcals, 19.5g protein, 0g carbs, 3g fat), 1 strip Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon (20 kcals, 3g protein, 0g carbs, 0.5g fat), 50 grams brussels sprouts (23 kcals, 1.5g protein, 3g net carbs, 0g fat), herb salad mix (7 kcals, 1g net carbs), smoky honey mustard vinaigrette (5 kcals, 1g net carbs). Total - (163 kcals, 24g protein, 5g carbs, 3.5g fat)
  • Chocolate protein frosty: 1 scoop Inspire dutch chocolate (126 kcals, 30g protein, 2g net carbs, 0g fat), 1/2 cup So Delicious coconut milk "beverage" (25 kcals, 0.5g protein, 0.5g carbs, 2.5g fat), 1 tbsp. Hershey's cocoa powder (10 kcals, 0g protein, 1g net carbs, 0.5g fat), 1 tbsp. Hershey's SF chocolate syrup (8 kcals, 1g net carb), and a splash SF chocolate and vanilla syrups, aerated and whipped up with ice. Total - (169 kcals, 30.5g protein, 4.5g net carbs, 3g fat).
  • 4 Bariatric Advantage raspberry calcium chews - I used them judiciously today! (60 kcals, 5g net carbs)
  • 1 Bariatric Advantage calcium lozenge (4 kcals, 1g net carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate orange multivitamins (10 kcals, 2g net carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate grape iron + c (10 kcals, 3g net carbs)
Total:
988 calories
121.6g protein
49.2% kcals from protein
35.5g net carbs
14.4% kcals from net carbs
29.5g fat
26.9% kcals from fat.

Exercise: I went on a 3-mile walk bright and early this morning, and then I had 75 minutes of yoga this evening.

Last night was my yoga instructor's last class before leaving to have twins (!). I will miss Annie. She always has a lesson that's exactly what I need to hear. For example, tonight she talked about being aware of (1) where you are and (2) your expectations, and bringing them into alignment via hard work. It was so serendipitous that she talked about this, considering my recent back-and-forth with deciding whether or not to do a PhD. I really should have done a PhD instead of a JD, but I've been wondering whether I have what it takes to push through for it at this point. Do I have another standardized test in me? Do I have another 5-7 years of being a student in me, especially when it would be so convenient to just go on the law teaching market now? Do I want to put up with all of the malarky of a PhD program when I could make a good salary earlier by putting up with the limitations of traditional legal analysis?

Her lesson let me know that I'm gonna have to do the hard work to bring my work life (currently the demoralizing world of traditional legal analysis) in line with my expectations (doing interesting and important research related to poverty, race, equality, and the law more broadly.) People talk about surgery as "the easy way out," but the "easy way out" for me would be resigning myself to conduct research in a discipline that I hate. Annie's message was right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment