Monday, February 15, 2010

What I Ate: 2/13/2010

The weekend means more protein samples! Today's new stuff was chocolate Champion Pure Whey Stack and "Chocolate Dream" Extreme Smoothie RTD.

  • 3 slices Hormel Natural Choice deli turkey (50 kcals, 10g protein, 1g net carbs, 1g fat), 2 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss (70 kcals, 5g protein, 2g carb, 4g fat), and 2 sugar-free cornichons (0 kcals). Total - (120 kcals, 15g protein, 3g net carbs, 5g fat).
  • 1 scoop Pure Whey Stack chocolate (130 kcals, 23g protein, 2.5g net carbs, 2g fat) in 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk (23 kcals, 1g protein, 1g net carbs, 1.8g fat). Total - (153 kcals, 24g protein, 3.5g net carbs, 3.8g fat).
  • Cheese omelet with green pepper pesto: 1/2 cup Publix EggStirs (60 kcals, 12g protein, 2g carbs, 0g fat), 2 slices Kraft fat-free sharp cheddar (50 kcals, 8g protein, 4g carbs, 0g fat), a smidge of leftover onion (5 kcals, 1g net carb) and about 2 tbsp. homemade green pepper pesto (5 kcals, 0.5g net carb). I make this pesto with a roasted green bell pepper, lotsa basil, garlic, vegetable broth, and natural (unsweetened) rice vinegar. It's killer delicious with virtually no calories. Total -(120 kcals, 20g protein, 7.5g net carbs, 0g fat).
  • 1 Extreme Smoothie in "chocolate dream" flavor (170 kcals, 35g protein, 5g net carbs, 0.5g fat) Yes! This is great. It is very low in carbs and fat; virtually all protein. It's very, very convenient - comes in a soda can and it tastes great right out of the container. There's no need to add stuff to it or shake it like a mad person. I'm a fan.
  • 1/2 Flatout Light Original, toasted (45 kcals, 4.5g protein, 3.3g net carbs, 1.8g fat), with 26 grams homemade no-sugar-added gooseberry compote (16 kcals, 0.2g protein, 2.3g net carbs, 0.3g fat) and 2 oz. homemade chicken salad (79 kcals, 13.4g protein, 3g net carbs, 2.9g fat). Total - (140 kcals, 18.1g protein, 8.6g net carbs, 5g fat). This meal was KILLER and extremely satisfying. It was like a whole ladies' brunch; I had toast and jam and enough toast left over for my chicken salad. A likely repeat for tomorrow. Whole Foods* had gooseberries last week, and I've never cooked with them so I decided to buy some, as it would help me reach one of my fifty goals for 2010. I tried one raw and it was way too sour. So I halved the rest (140 grams), cooked them on low heat until they were falling apart, added a little salt, 2 packets of Truvia, DaVinci sweetening syrup, and water, brought them to a boil, and then simmered until I liked the consistency. It made this incredible sweet-tart compote. And actually, gooseberries are relatively low in fructose (natural fruit sugar), so they are a great choice for those of us who watch our sugar intake.
  • 1/2 chocolate Oh Yeah! with a smidge of sugar-free eggnog syrup (110 kcals, 16g protein, 1.5g net carbs, 3g fat)
  • Chocolate-pistachio protein panna cotta: 1/2 scoop Inspire dutch chocolate cake protein (60 kcals, 10g protein, 4.5g carbs, 0g fat); 1/2 scoop Inspire dutch chocolate cake protein (63 kcals, 15g protein, 1g net carbs, 0g fat), 1.5 tbsp. SF/FF pistachio pudding mix (23 kcals, 6g carbs), splash sugar-free chocolate and vanilla syrups. Total - (146 kcals, 25g protein, 11.5g protein, 0g fat)
  • 4 Bariatric Advantage cinnamon calcium citrate lozenges (16 kcals, 4g carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate orange multivitamins (10 kcals, 2g net carbs)
  • 1 Celebrate grape iron + c (5 kcals, 2g net carbs)
Total:
990 kcals
153.1g protein
61.9% kcals from protein
48.6g net carbs
19.6% kcals from net carbs
17.3g fat
15.7% kcals from fat.
*Yes, I know there's controversy about shopping at Whole Foods. Sorry, down here in SC we don't have a lot of choices for a broad range of organic produce, so I'll be shopping there at least through September when I move to DC. (Frankly, I'm likely to shop there when I move to DC as well. If lefties don't want me to shop at Whole Foods, they need to come up with a reasonable alternative. No, Trader Joe's (though wonderful) isn't the same.)

For exercise, I did 3 miles of the Leslie Sansone 5-Mile Fat-Burning Walk and the Quick Start Pilates for Weight Loss DVD.

4 comments:

  1. I don't really have an issue with Whole Foods, but if you want to go someplace else in DC, there's My Organic Market (commonly referred to as MOM) and David's Natural Market. Both are locally owned with a couple of locations. That's here on the Maryland side though. Will you be actually in DC, or in the burbs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! I'm not sure where I'll be living exactly. I'm leaning toward the burbs for financial reasons, but I need to make sure my commute is manageable. I'll be working downtown close to Metro Center.

    I'll definitely check out those local grocers. Some people have issues with Whole Foods because the co-founder/CEO has recently entered the healthcare political debate, which is perhaps inappropriate even if you agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original MOM is in College Park, which is a decent 'burb (sounds like you're already pretty familiar with the DC area?) and metero accessable. There is one in Alexandria too, which I didn't know until just now, when I looked at their site. http://www.myorganicmarket.com

    Not that you should pick your new neighborhood based on grocery options! I will say that Maryland is generally cheaper. Our taxes (sales and otherwise) are lower, and we don't have a yearly (or maybe it's bi-yearly) vehicle inspection, like VA does, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I am leaning Maryland. I love Silver Spring and Takoma Park. And I don't have any shame in picking a neighborhood based on grocery options, nearby gyms, etc. :-) Unfortunately, my decision will ultimately be controlled by what is cheapest and available on Craigslist. Argh.

    ReplyDelete