Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What I Ate: May 11, 2010 (Chocolate Cake Edition)

Yes, you read that correctly: The chocolate cake edition. And I don't mean the black bean/maltitol chocolate cake either. Details below.
  • Strawberries and white chocolate protein shake: 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese (80 kcals, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 0g fat), 1/2 scoop Matrix strawberry cream protein powder (55 kcals, 11.5g protein, 1g carbs, 0.8g fat), 1 tbsp. SF/FF Jello cheesecake pudding mix (15 kcals, 3g carbs), SF white chocolate syrup, vanilla flavoring, lotsa ice. Total - (150 kcals, 26.5g protein, 9g carbs, 0.8g fat).
  • Tuna and almonds: 1 2.6-oz. packet Starkist Chunk Light tuna (80 kcals, 18g protein, 0g net carbs, 0.5g fat) and 1 100-calorie pack natural almonds (100 kcals, 4g protein, 2g net carbs, 9g fat). Total - (180 kcals, 22g protein, 2g net carbs, 9.5g fat).
  • 2 2-oz. Greek lamb mini-burgers (112 kcals, 16g protein, 3.2g net carbs, 2g fat) and 1 oz. fat-free Feta (35 kcals, 7g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fat) over about 60 grams leftover green beans (20 kcals, 1g protein, 3g net carbs, 0g fat). Total - (167 kcals, 24g protein, 7.2g net carbs, 2g fat).
  • 1/2 vanilla creme Oh Yeah! in decaf coffee (110 kcals, 16g protein, 1.5g net carbs, 4.5g fat)
  • Salad with spinach (10 kcals, 0.5g protein, 0.5g net carbs, 0g fat); 2 oz. (when raw) chicken breast (62 kcals, 13.2g protein, 0g carbs, 0.8g fat), 53 grams curry-roasted eggplant (30 kcals, 1g protein, 2.5g net carbs, 0.3g fat), 1 strip Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon (20 kcals, 3g protein, 0g carbs, 0.5g fat), 1 oz. FF feta (35 kcals, 7g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fat), and 1 slice tomato with preserved lemon vinaigrette (5 kcals). Total - (162 kcals, 24.7g protein, 4g net carbs, 1.6g fat).
  • Cookies & cream protein frosty: 1/2 cup cottage cheese (80 kcals, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 0g fat) and 1 tbsp. SF/FF cheesecake Jello pudding mix (15 kcals, 3g carbs), 1/2 scoop Matrix Cookies & Cream protein powder (65 kcals, 11.5g protein, 2g carbs, 1g fat), ice, water, SF cookie dough syrup. Total - (160 kcals, 26.5g protein, 10g carbs, 1g fat).
  • 3 Bariatric Advantage calcium lozenges (12 kcals, 3g net carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate orange multivitamins (10 kcals, 2g net carbs)
  • 2 Celebrate grape iron + c (10 kcals, 3g net carbs)
Theoretical Total, Before Chocolate Cake:
961 calories
123.7g protein
51.5% kcals from protein
41.7g net carbs
17.4% kcals from net carbs
19.4g fat
18.2% kcals from fat.

The deal with the chocolate cake: I foolishly offered to bake a cake for a coworker's birthday. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I just wanted to do something nice that I used to do before surgery. I baked for many friends' birthdays, and I miss doing that. Also, I am not very good at my job, and I want my coworkers and boss to appreciate something about me. They have enjoyed my cooking in the past. So, this seemed like an opportunity to buy affection with food.

Unfortunately, I don't have the self-control to bake for others. I'm a food addict. The cake was too big for my bundt pan and rose too high, so I had to level the cake by slicing off some of the bottom. As you might predict, I ate almost all of the cake I sliced off. (I don't dump. This was regular carby cake made with real sugar and real butter.) I reasoned that, because I was serving it to my boss and coworkers, I "needed" to taste it. While that is true on some level, I didn't need to have more than a bite - but I did.

The cake added a lot to my caloric intake for the day, but I'm not super-worried about that. I know I'm not going to start eating chocolate cake every day. There wasn't a specific food that made me morbidly obese - I was more of a volume consumer of everything edible. I'll just return to my normal routine.

That said, I had no business eating that cake. More importantly, I had no business volunteering to bake that cake. That's what I'm worried about. We could have bought a cake, but I put myself in harm's way to please others, knowing in the back of my mind that I'd find some way to justify nibbling on the cake and/or licking the batter-coated spatula and beaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment