Saturday, November 6, 2010

What I Ate: November 6, 2010

Auditioned for a choir today. It went horribly, not because I didn't sing well, but because they were asking me all these questions about music that I just didn't know the answers to. I knew it was bad when, at the end, they asked me if I'd ever been trained (I haven't) and they were like, "because I noticed you tilt your neck up sometimes . . . that's not a great technique." So basically they were telling me I don't know how to sing properly, and I guess it doesn't matter whether I sang well or did well with the pitch exercises. I wasn't prepared for the questions I encountered. It felt like I was auditioning for Sunday Best or like, Kirk Franklin's or Fred Hammond's choir. If I had known that's what I was getting into, I would have done a little research beforehand so I could have faked it till I made it. :-(

Okay, moving along. I ate foolishly today. After the audition, I was starving and was trying to get home quickly, but I don't know my way around Maryland too well yet, so I got lost. I didn't have anything with me. So - when you're lost and you need protein food quickly, what springs to mind? Nuts, of course. For me, cashews (even though I could have bought a single-serving of pistachios if I had to go the nut route.)

You know what happened. Over the course of the day, I ate the entire canister. And because I hadn't actually counted to see how egregious my misdeeds were, I ate poorly later tonight as well. Then I was like, "Dang, now I've grazed my way up to almost 3000 calories today. Awesome."

  • Chocolate-maple protein frosty: 1/2 scoop Matrix perfect chocolate protein powder (60 kcals, 11.5g protein, 1.5g net carbs, 1g fat), 1 tbsp. Hershey's regular cocoa (10 kcals, 1g net carbs), 2 tsp. SF/FF chocolate Jello pudding mix (10 kcals, 2g carbs), 1/2 scoop 1% cottage cheese (81 kcals, 14g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fat), 1 tsp. maple flavoring, 2T Splenda granular (12 kcals, 3g carbs). Total - (173 kcals, 25.5g protein, 10.5g net carbs, 2g fat).
  • A whole tub of cashews. (1600 kcals, 50g protein, 80g net carbs, 130g fat). Yep. It took hours, but I did that.
  • Poh tak soup at Thai restaurant with friends. Despite the ridiculousness of the rest of my eating day, this was a very good choice. It had 1 shrimp, 3 pieces of squid, and 1 mussel in a lemongrass broth with lime juice and basil. It was supposed to be spicy, but it wasn't, and it wasn't so good from where I got it. But I could tell that at a good Thai restaurant, it would probably be delicious. In keeping with the RNY eating rules, I sipped on the broth first and ate the solids last. :-)
  • Starbucks decaf coffee with 2T half and half (40 kcals, 0.8g protein, 1g carbs, 3.4g fat) and 10 Splendas (30 kcals, 7g carbs). Total - (70 kcals, 0.8g protein, 8g carbs, 3.4g fat).
  • Came home, went haywire - Probably what amounts to 2 of my low-carb red velvet cupcakes with sugar-free cream cheese icing. (roughly 324 kcals, 14g protein, 16g net carbs, 15g fat).
  • Several strawberries
  • 1 large hard-boiled egg (72 kcals, 6.3g protein, 0.4g carbs, 5g fat) and 8 small steamed shrimp with mustard Q sauce (56 kcals, 9g protein, 3g carbs, 0.8g fat).
Weight Saturday morning: 179.2. Yeah. That doesn't make sense given the high calories and lack of exercise over the last couple days, does it? I've lost almost 9 pounds in less than a week, supposedly. Well, I know the scale won't be so kind tomorrow.

In any event, I'm not getting excited. As usual, whether my weight goes up or down on a day to day basis usually depends less on my behavior and more on hormones or something. The real problem is not that I regained 18 pounds, but rather that I went from fluctuating between 170-178 to fluctuating between 180-188. That's essentially a ten-pound gain. I want to permanently get back to those 170s.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh sorry to hear about the lame-o choir people. Out of curiosity, what choir was it? (There's a girl who was in my childhood choir with me in one in DC -- wondering if it was the same one)

    ReplyDelete