Thursday, October 21, 2010

What I Ate: October 20, 2010

  • Chocolate-ginger protein frosty with about 1 tsp. flax meal
  • A couple T half and half in Sbux decaf
  • 3 oz. chicken salad and a small (1.5 oz.?) sliver of the leftover Moist Apple Cake with vanilla buttercream
  • A couple more T half and half in Sbux decaf
  • 1 100-calorie pack natural almonds and 1 Babybel Light cheese round
  • More half & half in Sbux decaf
  • Massive amounts of roasted unsalted cashews. Massive. Emotional eating. :-(

I went to the gym in the middle of the day today. I just did 35 minutes on the elliptical.

I was doing well on keeping my calories low - almost too well - until I went to the grocery store and had a really jarring and terrible altercation with this very impatient man in the self-checkout line. We'd all been waiting a long time. But I guess he felt like he shouldn't have to wait, and he starts yelling about how everyone currently checking out was "selfish" because we were taking too long (keep in mind, I had 2 items and had been checking out all of 3 minutes.) I was annoyed and yelled back at him (mistake.) I said something to the effect that he was going to have to wait like everyone else, and that I guess I was just going to stand there and hold up the line even further. THEN he called me an "ignorant-ass whore" and I LOST it. I brought up my profession, my school, a bunch of other stuff - yeah. (Nevermind that the job stuff was completely irrelevant because what he said would have been inappropriate even if I were an unemployed high school dropout.) It went on from there, and I was so flustered by the whole thing that I accidentally left my beloved water bottle at the store.

I was mad at myself for (1) being so flustered I couldn't think of more clever and appropriate retorts; (2) letting him get under my skin. I'm not sorry I responded to him; I just wish I'd done so in a more classy way. I let him get to me. Then I went home and, over the course of several hours, ate an extremely large amount of cashews. I'm glad I didn't force down a protein shake on top of it, but it was still a lot - probably double the number of calories I had during the rest of the day.

Of course, I get up Thursday morning and the scale was actually down a couple pounds. For now, my body usually loses weight when I binge on nuts. Nonetheless, emotional eating is never productive, and I am still annoyed by that whole scenario.

By the way: The "ignorant-ass whore" dude wound up taking even longer in the line than I did. He had some kind of problem with the cash register for which he needed customer assistance. Oh, the irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment