Monday, October 18, 2010

What I Ate: October 16-18, 2010

On Monday the 18th, I had:

  • Chocolate-ginger protein frosty - no pudding mix!
  • Leftover dilled pimento cheese and mustard-bbq pork meatballs from a gathering I had at my house on Sunday. I use Fage 0% instead of mayo in my pimento cheese, and the mustard bbq sauce is quite low-calorie with a mustard base, Splenda, vinegar, and seasonings.
  • Ditto - more meatballs and pimento cheese.
  • Leftover whole chicken salad with apples and roasted grapes (instead of using mayo, I roast the whole chicken and puree the dark meat chicken and chop the breast and wing meat. This way, the creaminess of the chicken salad primarily comes from the meat itself. But there's a smidge of olive oil and vinegar too.)
  • A handful of roasted and salted peanuts and a handful of roasted pistachios
  • Chocolate-maple protein frosty, again nixing the pudding mix.
  • Another handful of peanuts.

I have not worked out for THREE DAYS! This weekend left me exhausted. I literally spent all day - from 6 AM to past midnight - cooking/cleaning on both Saturday and Sunday for an event I hosted on Sunday evening. I even missed church on Sunday, which made me really sad. Planning for the Sunday event was difficult because I had to serve heavy hors d'oeuvres to people I don't know. I have very little experience with heavy hors d'oeuvres, but here's what I came up with:

  • Whole chicken salad (as mentioned above)
  • Dilled pimento cheese (as mentioned above)
  • Garlicky beet & winter squash dip - not the most popular item, even though it's delicious! People are funny about beets.
  • Crackers (carbs!) and chips (more carbs!) for non-ops to eat with the first three items
  • Crudite of jicama, zucchini, and red bell pepper for the health conscious to eat with the first three items -- of course this was barely touched
  • Herbed brussels sprouts and candied turkey bacon on skewers - people really liked this, even though I don't like brussels sprouts at room temperature
  • Caprese salad (with grape tomatoes, bocconcini, basil, and balsamic reduction) on skewers
  • Curry-roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes - the vegan dish, and it got rave reviews from both the black folks at my house on Sunday and the white folks at work on Monday.
  • Pork meatballs with homemade South Carolina mustard bbq sauce
  • Apple spice cake with vanilla buttercream and pomegranate molasses. I made the cake from a Bariatric Eating recipe, but added vanilla, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and more cinnamon. I also used some coconut flour instead of all almond flour (coconut flour is cheaper and has better stats.) The pomegranate molasses is just Pom reduced to a thick, tart syrup - and it's full sugar and extremely flavorful, so just a slight drizzle over the cake is enough.
  • The good ol' black bean chocolate cupcakes, this time with a peanut butter-cream cheese filling, no sugar added chocolate ganache and salted peanut topping
  • Bananas coated with no-sugar-added chocolate ganache
  • White chocolate bark with dried cranberries, pistachios, and orange zest. This was not very popular at the party but was EXTREMELY popular at work the next day. Maybe white folks like white chocolate more. ;-)

Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th were pretty much just tastes of these foods. On Saturday, I did have one protein frosty in the morning. But, for the most part, it was all this stuff. Sunday, in particular, was a very carby day unfortunately. At least Monday was a big step toward getting back on track foodwise, and tomorrow morning I'll add the gym back into the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment