Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What I Ate: October 19, 2010 - and New Vitamins!

As you may know, I am a big fan of Celebrate bariatric vitamins for my multivitamins and iron. (I prefer Bariatric Advantage's calcium options.) I recently tried some of Celebrate's new flavors: I tried the 60 mg iron + C in Berry, and the multivitamin in Pineapple-Strawberry.

I'm not sure the Pineapple-Strawberry is as good as my old standby, the Mandarin Orange, but it's tasty. I'll definitely be adding it to the rotation.

The Berry iron has a tad more iron flavor than my beloved 30 mg Grape chewables, but they are still tasty and have none of the truly horrendous aftertaste of the Bariatric Advantage iron chewables. It's not surprising that the 60 mg pills would have a stronger iron flavor than the 30 mg. Also, my ferritin was a little lower than preferred in my March labs, so I want to take larger iron doses. I'd been taking 2 grape irons, but that's costly. You can get twice the amount of iron in the Berry vitamins for the same price.

Enough vitamin talk. Here is today's food & exercise report:

  • Chocolate-ginger protein frosty with 2 tsp. ground flaxseed: 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop chocolate Matrix, 1.5 T Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, 2 tsp. ground flax, a few slivers of ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and 5-6 ice cubes
  • A couple T half and half in Sbux decaf
  • Too many pistachios and peanuts - probably 2 or 2.5 oz.
  • A couple more T half and half in decaf coffee
  • 3 oz. of my whole chicken salad, a tiny slice of the "Moist Apple Cake" with vanilla buttercream. I forgot to mention that I got the apple cake recipe from Bariatric Eating!
  • The last of the caprese from Sunday - 4 bocconcini and 4 grape tomatoes
  • Omelet made with 2 small eggs, 3 slices Hormel Natural Choice smoked turkey, 5 grape tomatoes, and 3 small mushrooms
  • Yummy strawberry protein frosty
  • Late night: 3-4 leftover banana chunks with the NSA chocolate ganache, leftover from Sunday :-(

Today's exercise was 50 minutes on the elliptical at the 14th & F Washington Sports Club. I detest that location. It's full of people that are even stodgier than the average DC set.

I listen to music when I work out, and occasionally I hum along with a bar or two. I'm way too out of breath to sing full voice, or to sing continuously. Most people are wearing their own headphones and are thus blissfully unaware that I'm not always completely silent when I exercise. But this morning, apparently a few haters complained about me to the WSC staff, and one of them came over and told me I was disturbing the other guests. I raised an eyebrow, rebuked Satan, and went right back to what I was doing. I don't complain to the management when the other guests disturb me by constantly passing gas et al., so they should just tolerate it when I let a few inadvertent words from a song pass through my lips. They can get over themselves. This would never happen at Columbia Heights or even the Gallery Place location.

Tonight was my second DC RNY support group meeting, and the first that was led by the bariatric psychologist. It was a good meeting, but I have never felt more C-R-A-Z-Y. I mentioned that I was getting adjusted to being in DC with a bunch of people who never knew me at 300 pounds, and that I didn't know how to react when my roommate gave me a few pieces of her old "fat" clothes (Size 12.) I also mentioned that I wanted to lose some more weight and/or have plastic surgery. The group members seemed aghast. I mean, I'm happy with where I am. But I really do want to shed the excess skin and feel more normal. And also, yeah, I'm a little sad that I'm the kind of person normal-sized people give their old fat clothes to. Maybe that's a little crazy in the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment