Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Update: Weeks 1 & 2

The first two weeks post-op have been very smooth. I've been out and about since I left the hospital - in fact, my mother and I went to the mall on the way home from the hospital. It's been gorgeous out, so I've been going on 1-2 mile strolls in the sun. That isn't much in terms of exercise, but it's decent considering that the exercise instructions require only walking 100 feet 4-5 times a day.

By way of background, my surgeon, unlike many other RNY surgeons, did not require any sort of preliminary diet. I tried to do Weight Watchers for a few months before my surgery, but it was a disaster. I only lost 3.6 pounds overall in 4 months! It was particularly upsetting because I would often lose when I'd been bad, and gain when I followed it to a tee. The night before my surgery I went out to Olive Garden and had TONS of food. It was disgusting I guess, but... anyway.

For the first two weeks after surgery, I was on a full liquid diet. That meant I could have all I wanted of clear, calorie-free or virtually calorie-free liquids like water, low-sodium/fat-free broth, decaf coffee, decaf tee, Crystal Light, Propel, Fruit2O, etc. Additionally, three times a day I had 2 oz. of "full liquids," which for my surgeon were either Slim Fast shakes, Ensure, Atkins Advantage shakes, or AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes.

I thought this would be difficult, especially since I was living it up eating everything in sight in the few weeks before my surgery. It wasn't hard at all. In fact, the full liquids kind of became a chore. I wasn't hungry, and they didn't taste that good. Broth and decaf coffee were total lifesavers.

Results:
Start weight: 304.0
Day of surgery: 298.6
Week 1: 282.3 (-16.3) :-D
Week 2: 282.0 (-0.3) >:-(
Total results thus far: -22.0

No comments:

Post a Comment